May 05, 2009

The Odd Stuff

Some odd occurrences as of late:

The Seven Dollar Black Hole - Back to St. Croix again. The first Seven Dollar Event was for a rental car, quoted at $38 and I paid $45 (not taxes or insurance, that was all after, just base rate here). The second Seven Dollar Event was during our drive through the rain forest, when we stopped at a highly recommended place for "the best mixed fruit smoothly you have ever had". When I went to pay I was asked for $14 dollars (Rae and I each had one). I replied "four dollars" and with a sly smile the attendant said "no $14 dollars".... well it was the best and only $7 smoothy I have had or will have. The third Seven Dollar Event occurred when I received a haircut. Working on local advice (guys hanging out at the bar) I inquired at the local internet shop and sure enough the proprietors sister would be in within the hour and she does cut hair. So I had a fairly decent hair cut sitting next to the computer terminals. This haircut cost me $20 dollars.... however the local bar guy told me be prepared to pay $13 dollars. I really thought nothing of it, maybe a tip, maybe inflation.

But when one puts the three events together you have to wonder about a conspiracy.

Update on the national parks permit for Buck Island - seems to still be in process.


Super Stingray Attacks Speeding Boat - While anchored at Marina Cay in the BVI's this week, I was enjoying a cup of coffee during the early morning, while reclining in the cockpit, not an uncommon event it should be noted. A local boat about 17 feet in length came flying through the anchorage - say 25 miles an hour - quite fast for the number of boats around and the potential, although a little early, for people swimming off their boats. Apparently the captain and crew were unaware of the patrolling Super Sting Ray, which leapt about three feet in the air just as the speeding boat went by landing on the boats windshield and bouncing off, seemingly unharmed. The boat came to a sudden halt as the captain and crew collect their wits and cleaned their shorts. They then proceeded to their destination at a much more reasonable pace.


Fighting Octopus - While spear fishing at Culebrita I came across a rarity, an Octopus fully out in the open on top of the coral bed moving about. Usually these guys, with the exception of nocturnal forays, stay holed up in a cave of some sort and one must be quite lucky to find one while snorkeling/diving during the day. Well I decided to have a go at him. First I touched him with my spear to see what his reaction would be; he grabbed on and started pulling. I yanked hard and got the spear away. But the Octopus stayed there eyeing me, daring me if you will. So I slinged the spear and took a shot, of course missing in my excitement. He moved into a nearby hole in the coral, but still exposed and still giving me the eye. Well my next shot was on the mark and brought about a ocean load of ink. I went to pull him out, thinking about what an interesting dinner he will make, when... I could not get the spear back. The Octopus really had a hold of the spear now. A battle of wills, endurance, breath holding ability, wits and ink occurred, with me losing on all counts. I did claim a tie in the end getting my spear back but no Octopus for dinner.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: